PHF 2017 | A 03
This semester we will be designing an apparatus for exploring embodiment of artifacts. This project will require you to incorporate an understanding of the actual and virtual parameters of your own body and the bodies of others. Our design exploration is comprised of five assignments which will require you to work both independently and collaboratively with your assigned group. Each group will be required to document each assignment by submitting work via our Course Folder, and through a photography session at the end of this second module.
In assignment 3, you will work with your group to re-design and build a new, more informed apparatus prototype.
Individual file naming convention:
Group file naming convention:
Part A | ANALYSIS
1. Using your new device, record through, video, photos, drawings, etc. how your device extends your bodily spatial definition.
2. Transfer these technological "observations" into a set of diagrams/drawings, using your drawing/diagrams from assignment 01,which explain the group collective "extended body"
Part B | CONCEPTUALIZATION
1. Using the reading from this week as a basis, describe your group project as it relates to your own understanding of your extended body in space. Consider the following:
- What parts of your body are effected?
- Does this apparatus change the spatial dimensions of your body - If so how?
- How does the apparatus effect your behavior?
- Are any of the above effects that you designed for? How can you improve your design?
2. As a group write a single paragraph that describes your apparatus using answers to step one above. This paragraph should be projective, describing your apparatus as you envision it ultimately operating.
Part C | RE-BUILD & REFINE
1. With this description completed, redesign your apparatus to better achieve the effects/performance the group has identified.
2. Create a new apparatus. Amend your rhino and/or your Grasshopper files to create this new project.
3. When building the next prototype only use 110lb white cardstock (or similar paper).
1. Use the files / templates provided.
2. Save files using the course file naming convention.
3. Each group should submit:
- 1 set of drawings/diagrams, using the template & photos from assignment 01
- 1 full scale apparatus made from 110lb white card-stock (or similar heavy weight, smooth, white paper)
- 1 written statement