PHF 2017 | A 01
This semester we will be designing an apparatus for exploring embodiment of artifacts. This project will require you to incorporate an understanding of the actual and virtual parameters of your own body and the bodies of others. Our design exploration is comprised of five assignments which will require you to work both independently and collaboratively with your assigned group. Each group will be required to document each assignment by submitting work via our Course Folder, and through a photography session at the end of this second module.
Assignment 01 has 4 parts Record, Annotate, List, Speculate. We will use these 4 parts to build the context for and propose a new body schema that incorporates a designed artifact.
1. RECORD: record your own body and it's range of motion through a series of layer photographs.
2. ANNOTATE: measure yourbody and annotate your photo series.
3. LIST: list all the non-human components that regularly incorporate into your body schema (the functional and perceptual boundary of your self).
4. MODIFY: propose a new component or apparatus that radically changes the functional and perceptual construction of your body schema. Add a representation of this apparatus as though it were fully incorporated into your physical self.
Part A | RECORD
1. Take 3 separate series of photos of your group members, based on the example above. Wear dark clothing, with no patterns or prints.
2. Use a Tripod and a white back drop. Slightly overexpose each photo, so that when layered the compiled image will still be visible
3. Layer each photo using Photoshop.
Part B | ANNOTATE
1. Using the template provided, annotate your series of photographs by measuring your body and it's range of motion.
2. Add these dimensions to your layer photo series in Illustrator. maintain the line-weights, colorsand fonts of the template.
Part C | LIST
1. Over the course of a 24 hour period, record every significant non-human artefact that you physically interact with.
2. Next to each, list the following characteristics of that interaction:
- The part or parts of your own body interact with this artefact
- The intensity of that interaction
- The degree to which that interaction is conscious
- The duration of that interaction
- The degree to which this artefact feels like a part or extension of your own body
Part D | MODIFY
1. Using the template provided (and on a separate layer) mark the spatial boundary of your body schema? What senses, parts of the body, and cognitive methods do you use to establish an understanding of your body in space?How would you describe the movement of your own body in spatial terms, and the awareness you have of yourself, and the space you occupy. Is that space changing? How far does it extend beyond your own surface boundary? What do you consider to be your personal and perceptual space?
2. Consider how you would modify yourself to change the way you perceive, occupy, construct, and understand your space? Are there verbs or nouns you could use to explain this modification (there are suggestions on the upper left )? How would this be done physically - in other words, what would be the extents of a modified body.
3. Propose a new body schema by designing an artefact that changes your own physical and/or perceptual spatial boundary. Using Rhino, create a line drawing that can be overlayed onto the illustrator file from part B. Add this drawing (on a separate layer) to your illustrator file.
1. Use the CAD/Rhino/Illustrator/InDesign templates provided.
2. Save files using the course file naming convention.
3. Each person should submit:
- 3 Photoshop Files (1 for each photo series) - Part A
- 1 Illustrator file - Part B & D
- 1 Word File - Part C